8.10.2012

Week Three: Jazz

Jazz 
by Walter Dean Myers
illustrated by Christopher Myers

Summary
    Jazz is a collection of poetry that captures the essence of jazz. The poems, along with vivid illustrations, represent various styles of jazz and follow the history- from its beginnings in New Orleans to present day. Technical terms are introduced and jazz icons, such as Louis Armstrong are honored. 

APA Reference
Myers, W. D. (2006). Jazz. New York, NY: Holiday House. 

My Impressions
    I chose Jazz from the reading list because I love jazz and of course was eager to read a book on the subject. I was not let down by Myers' poems or his son Christopher's illustrations. It was quiet when I began reading, but after the first page I was itching to turn on a Louis Armstrong or Miles Davis record. 
    I tend to be attracted to well-thought-out design in picture books. With Jazz I felt that every aspect- from the layout to the background colors to the font and text color- were intentional and added to the rhythm and feeling of jazz music the book created.
    I think adults who appreciate jazz and are interested in its history will thoroughly enjoy this book. I also think children will like it, but it should be read aloud to emphasize the rhythm, beat and musical quality of the words. 

Review
    A reviewer for Publishers Weekly has nothing but praise for Walter Dean Myers' Jazz. The reviewer believe the reader will be "swept up in the [rhythm]" by the "savvy syncopation" in each line. The review also praises the illustrations, by Christopher Myers, which are vibrant, dynamic and purposeful. Finally, the review observes that the text and illustration work in harmony creating a "mesmerizing verbal and visual riff on a uniquely American art form."

Publishers Weekly. (2006). Jazz [Review of the book Jazz]. Publishers Weekly. Retrieved from http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-8234-1545-8

Library Use
    Because some kids are unfamiliar with jazz, the library could hold a storytime/music appreciation session. As you read parts of Jazz, you could play jazz and ask kids to say how the book and music are similar. You could also do a brief history of the origins of jazz. 
    Jazz would also be a good addition to a Black History Month program or display.   

No comments:

Post a Comment